Bachelors by 30?

Saturday, March 18, 2006

No more networking!

Wow. With those networking classes over I am actually pretty happy. I am in the second week of the UNIX class I have to take, which is really more of an introduction to the concept that UNIX can be used in business or some such thing.

Now, to get everything out on the table I am a "WinTel" kind of guy. I like to dabble in programming, but am more of a project manager than a programmer. I like to dabble in web stuff, but would rather pay someone else if it's a real web project. I am one of the system administrators at work, but am working to move into being a group lead on the track to management.

Ok. With that out of the way, we are really concentrating more on Linux than Unix. The instructor has recommended we use Knoppix. One of our classmates recommended DSL run in either qeum or vmware. My older brother gave me xandros for Christmas.

I've played with DSL a bit and it seems like it'll do for the majority of class. I have a second hard drive (alternate drive really) for the laptop and plan to install xandros on that within the week. I am currently downloading Knoppix via torrent.

After all is said and done I imagine I'll still be a windows guy because in addition to all the above, I like gaming. I admit there are games available for Linux, but the majority are still for PC, and moving forward also for consoles...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home