Bachelors by 30?

Thursday, November 17, 2005

Not a bad week.

In the last week or two I have received two "Hollywood movie money" gift certificates in the mail for one free movie each, had a Weber portable charcoal grill delivered to my door to be discovered two days later, and saw Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire the night before it came out.

The first two were delivered by a prize fulfillment center. It turns out that all those times (every day for three weeks) that I logged in and tried to win the LG Life is good instant win game paid off. I didn't win the MINI Cooper S convertible, but I apparently did win the movie tickets as a second place prize in the sweepstakes drawing, and the the grill as a prize in the second chance drawing - I think. I'm actually not 100% sure what prize I won how, but do know that they both came from there. That's $60 or so worth of prizes! The downside is of course that we have a small portable grill already, but the prize one appears better, or worth more at least.

The advance screening of Harry potter was a little different. I once tried to start a business with a friend of mine. Did all the paperwork, registered with the state, everything like that. Turns out we didn't have a good business plan. We had good ideas and intentions, but no solid direction and not enough drive. The business was an IT focused business, and as such we ended up on a lot of mailing lists. Most of these have faded over the years, but some have followed me to my new address. A month and half ago I got one from APC. It had a picture of Harry Potter on it. Turns out they sponsored an advance screening. The invitation was for one person and a guest, so tonight my wife and I went from work to a restaurant, had a quick bite to eat, and then to a theater to watch a presentation of about 45 minutes from APC for some of their new technology. It was interesting to me, but bored my wife quite a bit. For our trouble we were then given a screening of Harry Potter, starting at 7:15. This was 4 hours and 45 minutes before they had their public showings. We also got some dollar bun cold sandwiches, chips, pop, and veggies before hand, and a voucher for a free popcorn and pop in the form of a survey. They also provided a packet for kids with a puzzle for them to have something to do during the presentation. These kids puzzles were all turned in and a drawing was held for a Harry Potter board game. Incidentally my wife was a bit bummed she didn't get a chance to enter that drawing.

On a more practical front we've talked to the bank and two reputable on-line lenders and are fairly (about 99%) sure of who we're going to borrow money from for a vehicle - but that's all I'm saying about that for now.

In all, it hasn't been a bad week.

2 Comments:

  • So you got all my karma? I haven't had a good night of sleep this week, have not been able to get any useful school work done, and had a tire blow out on my way into work when it was about 5 degrees outside. Not to mention the unusually high amount of problems at work.
    All in all, not a good week...

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:12 AM  

  • For what it's worth I have also been tired all week, spent 11 hours Tuesday and 10 hours Wednesday recovering/re-installing a server, and am having a killer time trying to stay focused on this last database class.
    I wish I could share some karma though as I don't like seeing family or friends struggling.

    By Blogger Adam Myhr, at 6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home